Surgeon General Regina M. Benjamin, MD, MBA just released her first position paper, calling for a nationwide grassroots effort at the neighborhood level to address the obesity epidemic. Her paper can be found here.
Here's a sample of her suggestions for creating Individual Healthy Choices and Healthy Home Environments:
- Reduce consumption of sodas and juices with added sugars.
- Reduce consumption of energy dense foods that primarily contain added sugars or solid fats.
- Eat more fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins.
- Control your portions.
- Drink more water.
- Choose low-fat or non-fat dairy products.
- Limit television viewing time and consider keeping televisions out of children’s rooms.
- Become more physically active throughout the day.
- Breastfeed exclusively for 6 months.
Sounds like everything I discuss with my clients!