The "Joy Cocktail"
Laughter is used as a form of expression to show the happiness you are feeling to those around you, but there may be more to laughing than simply displaying an emotion.
Laughter Yoga is rapidly sweeping our nation as a popular exercise routine. Why are so many people choosing to laugh their way through thirty minutes or more of heart pumping activity? Because it feels good! Laughter Yoga incorporates laughter (of course) with the traditional breathing techniques practiced in yoga generating an overwhelming feeling of energy to its participants. Dr Kataria, founder of the first Laughter Club in India claims that Laughter Yoga does much more than just make you feel good. Laughter Yoga:
- Reduces Stress. Laughter is expected to reduce the level or cortisol (a hormone released during times of stress).
- Improves Moods. After just minutes of practicing Laughter Yoga, the body releases endorphins or "feel good" hormones.
- Strengthens Immune System. Laughter may increase the number of cells that help fight viruses.
- Is a great cardio workout. One minute of laughter is equivalent to the cardiopulmonary effects of 10 minutes of jogging.
- Increases Oxygen Supply. Laughing combined with the deep breathing practiced in yoga brings more oxygen into your lungs.
Whether or not Laughter Yoga is the new defense against poor health, laughing feels good! So put on your tracksuit, breath in deep and laugh out loud!
Click here to find a laughter yoga practice near you!
Reference: Kataria, Madan. Received 2011. Laughter Yoga.